Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Muffin Man!

They were supposed to be cookies....

I read a lot of fitness magazines, one of my favorites is Oxygen. This magazine actually boasts some amazing meal plans and recipes.

I tried this one the other day. It was SUPPOSED to end up in a hard ball that you put in the refrigorator for a few hours then made into hermit cookies. No dice. My batter turned out WAY too runny! I *may* have forgotten some of the flour, or over-whipped the liquids. None the less, the muffins are great! i tested them on about 7 people before i told them what was inside, and they voted YES on having them again!!

INGREDIENTS:
2.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup protein pwder
2 tsp baking powder
1.4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp mace
1/8 tsp cardamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup agave nectar
4 egg whites
1/2 cup unsulfured black-strap molasses
1/2 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
1 cup sultana raisins
1.2 unsweetened dried cranberries
1 cup unsalted, raw, slivered almonds

I totally did not have ALL the spices, so I improvised with Pumpkin Pie spice, and extras of the others. Ginger could be ok too...

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat over at 350
2. Sift all dry ingredients and spices together in large bowl. Cream olive oil and avage nectar together until smooth in another dish.
3. Beat egg whites together seperately and add to olive oil mixture. Mix well. add molasses, applesauce, vanill and yogurt, mix well again.
4. Add raisins, cranberries and almonds. Mix well
This is where i got off track. Mine was pretty soupy, but the recipe says it should be mixed and form a ball. If so, put in regrigrarotr for a few hours. If not...make Muffins!!
5. Bake for about 10 minutes!

They work AWESOME as mid morning snack at work. I haven't taken one on a ride, but I am not apposed to it. I have consumed them pre and post workout and found them delicious!!

FACTS:
per cookie 87 calories; Fat 5 g; Sat Fat 0.5g; Carbs 11g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 0g!!; Protein 3 g. All a bit higher if you make the muffins!!

2 comments:

  1. I don't bake a ton, but these look awesome...and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. check on both my friend! Totally simple and really good! I am making them for my 9th grade health class to prove to them that healthy food can taste great! THAT will be the true test!!!

    JOY

    ReplyDelete